Wednesday 3 August 2011

Gaming Demons

So … Diablo 3 is going to sell pretend items for real money, I'm not entirely comfortable with this, but it's not what I'm writing about. What I'm writing about is people's reaction to this news.


I'll skip straight to the point, calling for a boycott is a bloody stupid idea.

Why? Remember when you were a teenager and somebody told you “don't do that!” and got the idea into their head that a half-hour lecture about whatever the evil of the day was just what you needed? Well I'm assuming that worked just about as well on everyone else as it worked on me, in other words not at all.

Like a lot of people I don't always react well to being told what I should and shouldn't do by others(especially when it comes to my free time), even if their intentions are good.
I often feel that the best way someone to get me to change my mind, is to put the situation where I have the time and opportunity to form my own insights.

There has been a good few high-profile “ boycotts” of various services and games in the last few years but rarely have they made any significant impact.

Or to rephrase a old saying: people need time to practice, not to be preached at.

So one day from sitting down fully intending to pen a somewhat poisonous rant about how D3 the downfall of modern gaming, I find myself sitting coffee in hand feeling a little warm glow as I hit delete and wipe that pointless piece of self indulgent rage from the planet.

It feels to me at least that we've got so wrapped up in the problem we haven't thought about solutions.

So I ask myself, “ what would stop me from buying a game I really wanted?”
And in the end if I'm honest is only one real answer, because really is only one thing that people love more than something shiny and new and that's a bargain.

So here's my suggestion to anyone really really feel strongly about this, put your money where your mouth is A couple of days before the D3 is released go out and buy a copy of another game you know someone will love & give it to them.

Simple as that, nothing more, nothing less.

You might have to put out a bit of your own coin, and you might have to put in a bit of research finding what games someone likes.
And if you're feeling particularly brave perhaps pick something with decent multiplayer then make the time to visit someone and spend some quality time gaming together, perhaps even trying get a few more people in (a anti launch party if you like), and perhaps eventually remember that universal truth is that any game is better when you play it with your mates.


Oh well it seems that did go on a rant in the end, but at least it was a positive one.

No comments:

Post a Comment